Blog Archive

Search This Blog

About Us

My photo
Jessica is our 2016 Olympic Hopeful and Sarah is our 2012 Olympian in Weightlifting. We're setting out to be "Pretty Strong" and we encourage you to do the same.

Translate

Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Mental weakness exodus by JESS

The Mental weakness exodus

"So we say with confidence,
   "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
      What can man do to me?"
Hebrews 13:6

Everyone who knows me knows my "potential" or "what I'm capable of"

As much of a compliment as that sounds coming from Olympians, and very respected coaches it sounds to me more of a slap in the face. Why?
Because its a reminder of my mental weaknesses, basically That i could be good if I Was mentally stronger.

Ive had a lot of help with friends, sports phycologists and many coaches. The help would get me through a workout, maybe two. Never once has it really gotten through and really marinated in my soul, Until recently.

I'm a christian. I do honestly believe that God gave me gifts to glorify Him. I believe that He wants me to be the best I can be. That should be enough to have the courage to succeed, shouldn't it? Not necessarily to a very insecure woman. I would twist the "gift" I was given. I thought my gift was given but only enough to fail over and over and the way I glorify Him was to keep getting back up and keep trying and still praise His name.

Recently, I've been coaching a lot of high level Crossfit Games athletes, AND just beginning athletes. Listening to them and trying to be the best coach I can be. Which in my opinion is defined as making sure that athlete feels safe, respected and that I am 100% in their corner. Ive found that Actual knowledge aside, mental fortitude goes much further than talent or program. The crossfit open, for those of you that do not participate or know what it is, is a very very stressful 5 week process of competition. Every workout is judged and a score is posted that is compared to every other athlete in your gym, state, region, country and world. During this 5 weeks every score, every week matters in ranking. Obviously a lot of nerves, stress and comparing goes into the process.

I've had multiple athletes come to me during these weeks with insecurities and general nerves. Being able to be there for them as a coach and see this side of the competition process has been very eye opening for me as an athlete.

Realizing that overthinking is crippling, and draining. Figuring out finally that I'm the only one stopping me. God doesn't want me to fail. I was just scared to succeed.

The LORD is my light and my salvation—
       whom shall I fear?
       The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
       of whom shall I be afraid?
  When evil men advance against me
       to devour my flesh,
       when my enemies and my foes attack me,
       they will stumble and fall.
 Though an army besiege me,
       my heart will not fear;
       though war break out against me,
       even then will I be confident."

Psalm 27:1-3


Now i get it!! Moving forward I WILL go into every lift I attempt with 100% because I fear nothing but God. I will fear no weight, no competitor and no opportunity (no matter how big). Only God controls my destiny so who else should I fear?

FEARLESSLY,
J

No comments: