Blog Archive

Search This Blog

About Us

My photo
Jessica is our 2016 Olympic Hopeful and Sarah is our 2012 Olympian in Weightlifting. We're setting out to be "Pretty Strong" and we encourage you to do the same.

Translate

Saturday, March 2, 2013

No Dessert Challenge- Complete!

So the last time I wrote about the "No Desserts Challenge," I thought I was dying. I was kinda losing my mind a little bit. It was around the next week that I was totally cool.

My "version" of no desserts used fruits and more natural sources of sugars for my sweets instead of what I viewed as "hard core" desserts.

My friend is giving up desserts for Lent so we are giving ourselves a special treat if we can survive not eating desserts until Easter, so that is helping us stay motivated.

In total, I believe I had like 5-7 desserts whereas normally, I would have consumed one everyday. So although, I messed up, I still did so much better than I normally would have.

Here are three of my go-to items for when I am having a sweet tooth:
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
Banana Oatmeal Cookies
Baked Apple

In any of these recipes, the most "sugar" I would have would be local honey. That way, it could help with me seasonal allergies, and not be modified or processed.

I learned that I can refrain from having certain foods, I am learning more and more what some of my "triggers" are. I have the goal to continue to moderate my dessert consumption and make better decisions when I do want to have sweets.

It was a hard but good experience.

Now for March's Challenge.... "No Fast Food." I got a head start on this one because I gave up fast food for Lent. In case you didn't read it before, I am being a "Lent Supporter" this year. I'm pretty sure that's not a correct term by any means. Lol I am not including, chipotle or some places like Wild Flower or Paradise Bakery as "fast food." I also try to keep eating at those places to a minimum as well.

Here are a few tips or things I have learned so far to help with "No Fast Food"

1.) Be creative with your cooking. If I'm bored or don't like what I'm eating, I am more willing to go out and get something different.
2.) Plan ahead. Make sure you know what you're doing the next day so you can prepare your meals and have them ready to go so you won't "need" to go and get something in your busy day. Sometimes, for breakfast, I will pull out eggs, a pepper, and some oil, and place them all in a pan. So all I have to do the next day is crack the eggs and cut the pepper, cook, and eat it really quick. While it's cooking, I will put all of my other meals and snacks in a bag and I'm ready to go for the day.
3.) If you are in a situation where you need to get something quick, make the best choices possible.
If I have to stop at a gas station I will get something like: banana, beef jerky. water/gatorade/ 100% juice or milk
Grocery Store- Baked chicken with vegetables or fruit as a side, as well as a nice drink

Sarah

No comments: