Blog Archive

Search This Blog

About Us

My photo
Jessica is our 2016 Olympic Hopeful and Sarah is our 2012 Olympian in Weightlifting. We're setting out to be "Pretty Strong" and we encourage you to do the same.

Translate

Monday, May 2, 2011

Happy Mother's Day, Rizelyx Rivera!

Few teen moms manage graduate high school. Even fewer become elite athletes. Here's an interview with Rizelyx Rivera, one of the few teen moms who has been fortunate enough to follow her dreams! We love how strong, beautiful, faithful, and brave she is. Happy Mother's Day!

63KG/58KG

front squat: 145KG/130KG
back squat: 170KG/152KG
power snatch: 90KG/80KG
power clean: 105KG/95KG
snatch: 92KG/87KG
clean: 110KG/105KG

When did you start weightlifting?

I STARTED IN DECEMBER 2001.

Was it before or after your pregnancy?

BEFORE

How old were you when you got pregnant?
I WAS 16 YEARS OLD.

What influenced you to keep lifting after having Darielyx? 
I FELL IN LOVE WITH WEIGHTLIFTING SINCE I STARTED, SO AFTER HAVING MY DAUGHTER, I STARTED A MONTH AFTER GIVING BIRTH. ALSO, I KEEP LIFTING BECAUSE I WANTED TO KEEP COMPETING AND TRAVELING AND SOMEDAY MAKE MY DAUGHTER PROUD WITH MY ACCOMPLISHMENT.

Your schedule must be busy juggling parenting, work and training. What does a typical day look like for you?
WELL, BEING A SINGLE MOTHER, WORK AND TRAINING IS JUST A CHALLENGE. I AM A PERSONAL TRAINER, SO I GO TO MY CLIENTS HOUSES AND WORK WITH THEM DURING THE MORNING, I GOTTA BE HOME BEFORE 11:30 TO GET MY DAUGHTER READY TO GO TO SCHOOL (KINDERGARDEN IS JUST HALF DAY) I HAVE A FEW HOURS WHEN SHE IS AT SCHOOL TO DO SHORES AT THE HOUSE, THEN GO TO THE GYM AND COACH KIDS (WEIGHTLIFTING), THEN I GO GET MY DAUGHTER, GO TO MY OTHER JOB AN HOUR AWAY WHERE I HAVE MORE CLIENTS AND BETWEEN THAT, I DO MY TRAINING. I GO HOME, EAT AND SLEEP.




Does your daughter ever watch practices or competitions? If so does it distract you?
SHE IS AT ALL THE TIMES WITH ME. SHE ALWAYS HAS. SHE LOVE SEEING ME TRAINING AND ESPECIALLY COMPETE. SHE IS MY BIGGEST FAN. SO IT DOESNT DISTRACT ME, SHE KNOWS WHAT TO DO.

Do you think you're daughter will be an elite athlete when she grows up?
I THINK THAT IF SHE REALLY WANTS IT, YES. SHE HAS THE GENETICS AND SHE LIKES WEIGHTLIFTING.

What is your favorite part of being a mother?

MY FAVORITE PART... :) HAVING HER WHEN I NEED A HUG, HAVING HER BY ME, I THINK I NEED HER MORE THAN SHE REALLY NEEDS ME. WE ARE A TEAM THATS HOW I SEE IT.



We think being able to handle all that you to at the level of weightlifting you're at is amazing! what the the hardest part?
THE HARDEST PART IS WHEN I HAVE TO LEAVE HER FOR A COMPETITION OUT OF THE STATE OR COUNTRY. ALSO, WHEN SHE GETS SICK AND OUR DAY JUST CHANGES COMPLETELY.

What would you like to say to single and/or young mothers wanting to pursue an athletic career?
NEVER GIVE UP NO MATTER WHAT! KEEP YOUR DREAMS AND GO FOR THEM! I AM MOTIVATED BY MY DAUGHTER, SHE IS THE ONE THAT TELLS ME, "COME ON MAMI! YOU CAN DO IT!" WHEN I FEEL ITS TOO MUCH. IT'S NOT EASY BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE. A LOT OF SACRIFICES BUT I AM BLESSED HAVING HER.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's awesome, she'a friend of my coach.

Sarah A. said...

She is AMAZING! I did track and field for Pitt, and would train the same place she did for my summer workouts... Rizelyx was one of the first women I saw lifting, and really made an enormous impact on my attitude in the gym. Having an excellent female athlete around, who was also balancing being a mom was so inspiring. You are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

She is an amazing woman, she is a good friend of mine and I admire her life has changed for the best thanks to her accomplishments and I'm proud and honored to been a small part in her life. Good Luck Mami ;)!!

Franky