Blog Archive

Search This Blog

About Us

My photo
Jessica is our 2016 Olympic Hopeful and Sarah is our 2012 Olympian in Weightlifting. We're setting out to be "Pretty Strong" and we encourage you to do the same.

Translate

Friday, October 1, 2010

Athlete of the Month: Erin Wallace

 Erin Elizabeth Wallace
Age -24
Weight Class-75kg


Other Sports Competed in

 I competed in gymnastics from 3rd to 7th grade, and then I played soccer from 8th grade until my junior year of college. I was a goalie, and I loved it! I threw javelin and shot put in high school, but I wasn’t very good at either one. I did prefer javelin though. I also did ballet for a bit as a kid if that counts.

The past two meets you had were the Pan American Championships and the National Championships. You went 6 for 6 and got personal records in both meets that were only two weeks apart. Awesome job! What do you contribute to those successes?

I would definitely have to give credit to my coach, Kyle Pierce, who is amazing to work with. I trust him not only because he has done the research to support the workouts, but also because he genuinely looks out for each lifter’s best interest. I also have wonderful teammates to train with; we feed off of each other’s energy.  I think that health plays a big part, and I have been blessed with a healthy body; I do my best when it comes to recovery and training smart.  After Pan Ams, I went back to a short 3’s phase and then tapered again right before Nationals. I think it was the right choice.

You have a very strong upper body. What are some of your feats of strength?

I do enjoy upper body work! I have done 12 pull-ups, benched 100kg, jerked 133/power jerked 122 ½ from the blocks, and push pressed 95 for a double.

Who are your favorite male and female weightlifters to watch?

I really love seeing my close friends/teammates make big lifts! I also like watching Evgeny Chigishev and Lidia Valentin.

What does your typical day look like?

A typical day…I wake up at 6:00 and get ready for work; I teach 6th grade English/Literature at Rusheon Middle School! I leave work between 3:00 and 3:30 and head to the gym. I train until 6:00 or 7:00 depending on the workout. Then I go home, cook dinner, finish up any work/grading, and go to bed around 9:30 so I can get up and do it all over again!

What would you say your greatest accomplishments are on and off the platform?

On the platform so far, I would say that the Pan American Championships has been my greatest accomplishment. I went 6 for 6, made personal records, and earned a spot on the World Team. I was so excited that I did well at my first big international meet.
Off the platform, I think that graduating from college and starting my career as a teacher was a big accomplishment. Education is very important to me.

You’re fast approaching Doreen Fulhart and Cara Heads’ American records. I think you’ll break them within the next couple of years. How do you feel about the possibility of breaking the American Records?


I do admire both Cara Heads and Doreen Fullhart for their success and hard work, but I would love to break the records! I want to push myself to be the absolute best lifter I can be, and I believe that I am capable of surpassing those records within the next two years. I do understand that being capable and actually doing it are two different things, but I have every intention of training hard in order to reach my full potential.

In a male dominated sport; how do you keep in touch with your feminine side?

I understand that when most people think of weightlifting, the male gender is what typically comes to mind. I think that it is quite possible to be feminine and compete in a male dominated sport. I love being a woman and doing girly things. I enjoy pedicures, shopping, and chick flicks, but I also like being strong and confident. I am very comfortable with myself, even if to some I look “too buff for a girl”.  I find that wearing my favorite earrings and a little makeup give my weightlifting ensemble a feminine touch!

What would you say to girls out there who are thinking about trying weightlifting for the first time?

I would tell them to try it!  Don’t be afraid of the stereotypes or of trying something new. I would encourage them by stating that it is good for strength gains for other sports.

No comments: