Blog Archive

Search This Blog

About Us

My photo
Jessica is our 2016 Olympic Hopeful and Sarah is our 2012 Olympian in Weightlifting. We're setting out to be "Pretty Strong" and we encourage you to do the same.

Translate

Friday, May 30, 2014

May 2014

A lot has been going on a not not a lot all at the same time. Either way, I'll fill you in.

I've been in League City, Tx training for Team Houston Weightlifting now for 16 weeks. I have to say, I truly love it here. I still think this is the best move I made at this point for my career.

So far as training is concerned, it is going really well. I started with 3 weeks of conditioning and then I moved into training. I'm usually not impressed by a lot of what I do but, I will say I am very happy with the progress I have made thus far. By the time weeks 8-10 came around, I front squatted 185 kgs when my best ever is 190 kgs and I back squatted 210 kgs and my best is 227.5 kgs. By the time week 12 came around (last week) I snatched 115 kgs which is 5 kgs under my competition best and I clean and jerked 145 kgs which is 10 kgs under my personal best. I still do not feel 100% in shape but, I am feeling more hopeful about my future in this sport. I am still a little over a year out from being able to compete again but, that still means I have a little over a year to get back where I was and then some. If God is willing and I stay motivated and healthy, there should be no reason why I am not ready to break American/Pan American records when I'm allowed to compete again. With the time line, it may be narrow but, the Olympics are still an option as well.

The only major drawback(s) of being on a suspension is the obvious thing of not being able to compete. I already expressed my feelings of boredom. Not necessarily from being here or from training but, it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometimes. I get bored not competing. That stimulus does me a world of good. I was fully intending of lifting this weekend for exhibition. This would simulate competition without breaking any rules. (permission was granted through USAW so no worries) Well, the meet director was still apprehensive and the competition filled up so I will have to go I think until October to possibly be an exhibition.

On the plus side, without having camps, or competitions or media stuff, I have time for a *gasp social life! I was on a pretty tight leash in Az especially when major competitions were around the corner. I didn't get a chance to make any friends really outside the gym and I hardly got to go home so I was having a lot of loneliness and homesick issues. Here, I have my coworkers, friends from church, and of course my teammates. It seems like I am always doing something or going somewhere.

The biggest struggle has been trying to pay off the debt incurred moving here and save money to get out on my own again. I am still having problems trying to find a roommate(s) that can hang letting me live there with as little as I can afford. Outside of that, things are going really well to my pleasant surprise. I am thankful for my blessings, my family, friends, coach, teammates, and others for support me through everything.

Here are some pictures from my recent exploits!