Blog Archive

Search This Blog

About Us

My photo
Jessica is our 2016 Olympic Hopeful and Sarah is our 2012 Olympian in Weightlifting. We're setting out to be "Pretty Strong" and we encourage you to do the same.

Translate

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Poor Athlete Recipes- Split Pea Soup

 My favorite soup ever is Split Pea! It's delicious and good for you! For less than $5.00 I created a dish that gave me about 2 lunches and I  have ham and peas left over! 


1/2 package Split Peas-Albertsons $1.30 (I think) complete protein when added with carbohydrates, and  high in vitamin c, folate, potassium, and fiber
32 Oz Chicken Broth- Pacific Natural Foods low sodium chicken broth  FREE, adds flavor and more protein

1/2 Ham Steak- Fresh and Easy $3.32. Mmm protein, flavor   

Directions:
Soak half the package of peas in water over night to soften the peas.
Cube half of the ham steak. Keep the bone.
Pour 32 oz of chicken broth in a pot.
Add ham bone, ham, and peas into pot. 
Boil and cook until the peas have soften up into a thick creamy consistency.
Add sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika to taste. 

Enjoy!

My left over ham will be used for an omelet tomorrow. Yum!

No comments: