Blog Archive

Search This Blog

About Us

My photo
Jessica is our 2016 Olympic Hopeful and Sarah is our 2012 Olympian in Weightlifting. We're setting out to be "Pretty Strong" and we encourage you to do the same.

Translate

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Nerves

I was talking to Sarah for awhile about nerves before competition. I think that nerves are inevetable. I have a local meet back home next week but it's my first meet since the injury and i've been going crazy with nerves. I get butterflies even if i just get a glimmer of thought about it. I feel anxious and uncomfortable whenever someone brings up the meet. I never used to be nervous about competitions I loved the bar and the bar (for the most part) loved me. The platform was my sanctuary. I was 100% comfortable standing alone. I'm 8 days away from travel 9 from competition and i cant shake this feeling.

My coach (Mike Conroy) had given me a book about competitions and how athletes should mimic how they feel/think/do exactly like they do in training. They should take the greatest competition and try to repeat the feeling in everyday life. ex: before my best meet ever i read twilight over the entire trip didn't think about the competition until i started warming up. Once i started warming up i picked a lifter i thought had the quickest and most sound technique and watched her until it was my turn to lift. (she was a canadian 58 snatching 80 cleaning about 100) needless to say she won. I'm doing my best to follow the guidlines of the book but i'm having a lot of trouble.

Sarah's advice: "Casey Burgener still gets nervous" problem solved, right?
we'll see.. eight days and go time :) here i am back where i belong competing in the sport i love.

No comments: